Thursday, July 12, 2012

Portland Art Museum

My little sister, Kendra, just moved to Oregon from Alaska! She’s been staying with me this week, then she’s off to camp for a month or so, then moving down to Eugene. I’m really excited that she’s going to be just a short drive away from me, so we can hang out more often! On Tuesday, we headed downtown to visit the Portland Art Museum. I’ve lived here almost four years now, but have somehow never been to the art museum! It’s a damn shame, and I’m glad I finally went.IMG_1201
The European Art Gallery, or as I fondly remember it "Way Too Many Baby Penises"
IMG_1207IMG_1213IMG_1212
This was one of my favorites of the European pieces. Amongst a room of portraits of holy figures and beautiful lords and ladies, here were... two dead birds.
IMG_1198IMG_1283IMG_1274
This was a neon-painted TV covered with Japanese monsters, giant gems, and random toys. It was the tackiest thing I've ever seen, and thus I was instantly in love with it.
IMG_1273IMG_1286
This one was titled "Alaska", though Kendra pointed out that it wasn't nearly as cold, dark, and depressing enough to be called that.
IMG_1249IMG_1289
And last but not least, my very very favorite thing in the entire museum. It's at the top floor, and was one of the last things we saw. A giant miniature (oxymoron?) city of glass and lights. It was beautiful and perfect and looked like the setting of a utopic sci-fi movie. When I got home, I did some research and found out it is titled "City 0000" by Mike Kelley, and was inspired by the city of Kandor from Superman comics. (How perfect is it that Kendra just happened to be wearing a Superman shirt?!)
IMG_1295IMG_1296IMG_1292

0 comments:

Post a Comment