Friday, February 24, 2012

Put Glitter on All The Things!

IMG_3213
After falling in love with the galaxy rings in my last “Lovely Things” post, I decided “hey, I bet I could make those!”  (I find myself saying that phrase quite often.) So, I stocked up on some glittery nail polish, grabbed some of my glass cabochons, and got to it. I experimented with layering different layers of nail polish until I liked the final result. Thank goodness for nail polish remover; I was able to start over and redo whichever ones didn’t turn out perfect!
IMG_3223
IMG_3211IMG_3162
I found it pretty relaxing to paint on layers and layers of nail polish while I watched some netflix. Remember how I scored an extra pair of awesome shoes a couple weeks back? I decided to paint them with lots and lots of glitter! I originally got the idea from Kaylah at The Dainty Squid. Funny enough, that blog post is the one that made me fall in love with those shoes enough to order them online! She uses modpodge mixed with glitter in her DIY, but I found that layers of nail polish worked fine. I painted them afterwards with two clear coats of acrylic paint, just in case.
IMG_3243IMG_3238
By this point, I just couldn’t stop painting things. (The excessive nail polish fumes might have helped that!) I ended up painting my cell phone case with lots of purple glitter, even sticking on a little astronaut, and painting a speech bubble. I loved the way it looked, but unfortunately it didn’t hold up well to daily use. The case is rubberized, which made it difficult for the nail polish to stay on. Oh well! 
IMG_3145
I plan on making some more galaxy necklaces/rings and maybe selling them in my shop! They’re pretty fun to do, and I really like the look of them.IMG_3215

0 comments:

Post a Comment